There are 78 species of waders on the British list (78 BOU categories A,B & C), the majority are rare vagrants (45), others passage migrants (6), a number are with us all year as residents (13), although some of those like Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa involve different subspecies at different times of year. Some species only stay with us for the winter (8), although some non-breeding birds do remain for the summer. However there is a small select band of species (6), the subject of this article, that breed here but then leave these shores completely during the winter.
These species are;
- Eurasian Stone Curlew Burhinus oedicnemus UK conservation status AMBER
- Eurasian Dotterel Charadrius morinellus: UK conservation status RED
- Little Ringed Plover Charadrius dubius UK conservation status GREEN
- Eurasian Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus UK conservation status RED
- Common Sandpiper Actitis hypoleucos UK conservation status AMBER
- Red-necked Phalarope Phalaropus lobatus UK conservation status RED