Family: PLUVIANELLIDAE (Jehl 1975)
Genus: Pluvianellus – Based on ‘Pluvianelle sociable’ of Hombron & Jacquinot 1842. Diminutive of Pluvianus (Vieillot 1816) Egyptian Plover (Gray 1846)
- South America; Magellanic Plover
One species. Uncertain affinities. Certainly unique among waders.
- Magellanic Plover Pluvianellus socialis (Gray 1846)
Until recently formed part of the Chardriidae with the Ringed Plovers, has also been placed in with the Sheathbills (Chionidae).
- BirdLife International: IUCN Red List for birds. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 26/03/2020
- del Hoyo, Josep, Andrew Elliot & Jordi Sargatal: Handbook of the Birds of the World – Vol. 3 (1996)
- Hayman, Peter, John Marchant & Tony Prater: Shorebirds – An identification guide to the waders of the world (1986)
- Jobling, James A.: Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010)
- Seebohm, Henry: The Geographical Distribution of the Family Charadriidae, or, The Plovers, Sandpipers, Snipes, and Their Allies (1888)
Click on the image for more information about the species.