The family, SCOLOPACIDAE, is made up of sixteen genera split between seven subfamilies. This page covers the subfamily PHALAROPODINAE in which there are three species in the genus Phalaropus.
Family: SCOLOPACIDAE (Rafinesque 1815)
Subfamily: PHALAROPODINAE (Bonaparte 1831)
Phalaropus – Greek: phalaris coot; pous foot).
- Europe; Red-necked and Grey Phalarope.
- Asia; Red-necked and Grey Phalarope.
- Africa; Red-necked and Grey Phalarope.
- North America; Wilson’s, Red-necked and Grey Phalarope.
- Central and South America; Wilson’s, Red-necked and Grey Phalarope.
- Wilson’s Phalarope formerly given monotypic genus Steganopus (Vieillot 1818) Greek; stegaopus web-footed (stegane covering; pous foot).
- BirdLife International: IUCN Red List for birds. Downloaded from http://www.birdlife.org on 26/03/2020.
- del Hoyo, Josep, Andrew Elliot & Jordi Sargatal: Handbook of the Birds of the World – Vol. 3 (1996)
- Hayman, Peter, John Marchant & Tony Prater: Shorebirds – An identification guide to the waders of the world (1986)
- Jobling, James A.: Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010)
- Seebohm, Henry: The Geographical Distribution of the Family Charadriidae, or, The Plovers, Sandpipers, Snipes, and Their Allies (1888)
Click on an image for more information about the individual species.